Enters commands on computer and peripheral equipment to execute job production applications and resolve equipment failures. Interfaces with customers to ensure equipment is functioning and to gather information.
Essential Job Functions
- Enters commands on computers, tape drives, printers, data communications equipment, and plotters to integrate and operate equipment.
- Interfaces with customers to ensure that servers are functioning and to gather information about new server requirements. Interfaces with vendors as appropriate to expedite resolution matters of significance.
- Observes and researches peripheral equipment and error messages displayed on monitor to detect faulty output or machine stoppage. Investigates, evaluates and resolves equipment problems and escalates issues as necessary to maintain job production.
- Maintains audit trail of job activities and status to document productivity. Maintains specific quality records to ensure standards are met.
- Monitors and maintains the production job schedule and ensures the schedule is adhered to in order to maintain performance.
- Performs scheduled, such as daily, weekly, or nightly, backups on systems in order to maintain production.
- Takes printers and terminals in and out of service as required and assists in resolving hardware related problems in the data center. Coordinates the movement of equipment and assets in order to maintain production.
- Monitors and computes customer data file restores to ensure that data are current and accurate.
- Utilizes standard problem management tools to record discrepancies in the environment. Analyzes and evaluates incident reports and makes recommendations to reduce incident rate.
- Assists workers in classifying, cataloging, and maintaining tapes to oversee and maintain computer operations.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- One year of vocational training in computer operations or related field preferred
- Four or more years of computer operations experience
- Experience working with systems infrastructure including hardware configuration, operating system, and networks
- Experience working with system job control language
- Experience working with computer desktop packages such as Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.
- Organization skills to balance and prioritize work
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Basic leadership skills
- Office environment
- May require shift work